Tuesday, January 17, 2006

stretching my wings

My world is being turned upside down right now. It's of my doing, but it's flip flopping, nonetheless. You would think that I would be apprehensive, considering my aversion to change. You'd think, what with at the very least a change in firms facing me down, that I would feel down and scared and unhappy. Quite the opposite.

I realized as I was driving into work today that I have a new bounce in my step. I'm walking faster, my speech is brighter, I'm feeling lively. And it's not new. It's like rediscovering an old part of me that's been tucked away for the past year and a half. During the time at my firm, I've been walking around as though I've had a shackle tightly clasped around my ankle. I've felt heavy and trapped and unhappy. These days, despite the uncertainty of my immediate future, I'm feeling more like I did before I was slapped across the face with the harsh reality that is the practice of law. I have a renewed vigor.

I feel stronger and more confident now. Sure, I may feel tossed onto my ass in a month when I don't know where I'm going, but have already walked out the door of my firm for the last time. Sure, I may flounder trying to decide which path to take from here. Sure, I may feel unsteady on my feet as I search for footing in a new firm, a new city, or the like. But I won't feel heavy. I won't feel burdened. I won't feel depressed.

I have unfettered myself. I am no longer chained to a job I despise with no foreseeable end to the misery. I'm getting out. I'm moving up. And I'm bringing back the me that I am proud of.

I'm stretching my wings, dusting off the cobwebs, and remembering that I do know how to fly.

No comments: